Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Anatomy of a Silk Shaded Embroidery


Last spring, I traveled to San Francisco to complete my fourth and final module of the Certificated Course of the Royal School of Needlework. I had already done this module with poor results so when they offered to allow me the privilege of re-doing my silk shading, I jumped on it. I would like to report that I received the grade I was hoping for, but I didn't. All in all, I'm happy to be finished and ready to move on to the next adventure.

This course is held bi-yearly in San Francisco at the Forever Embroidery Studio. Each module, or area of study, lasts ten days. The stitching below represents my work from ten full days of stitching.



I chose this bluebell as the flower I would stitch.
Once the outlines are painted on and pick stitched in place, stitching can commence. Always work from background to foreground.

 
 
 
 
 


After tackling the small blue petals, I decided to change colors and work on the leaves.
 
 


Now I can really see the flower take shape. I'm beginning to see the light at the end.


This section was quite tricky as the order of the petals change slightly so stitching is a bit disorganized.


Very little room remaining with which to tie on and off. Looks like I'm going to finish today after all.


Last petal.

 
Finished design.


This is my method of keeping track of thread colors. After a while, they all look the same color.
 
Mounting is a critical step which can be quite daunting. I decided to record my corners because I can never remember how I did them.
 


8 comments:

  1. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. custom made velcro patches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Johnny. That means a lot to me. I also have a blog on my site: www.wendyschoen.com

      Delete
  2. Thank You 😊 Great article. Turkey Visa Online is the most convenient and quickest way to receive a travel authorization to visit Turkey for tourism or business purposes, also called the e-visa or online tourist visa with a single or multiple entry and valid for 180 days from the date of issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact, the next time you are on a busy street or on the mall, you might notice that several people are actually sporting embroidery on their jeans, their caps, or even their bags. get information

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. iron on embroidered names

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally found the post I was searching for. I will return to your blog. I have added your blog to my favorite list. The online Myanmar business visa application is open from the date of 1st april 2022. Now you can visit in Myanmar for your purpose of business.

    ReplyDelete